Quit sure we have come across the requirement of - Can the subject line has the name, combined with a picklist value and a date? So it's easier to see the summarised information on the page layout without clicking on the related Activity/Task records?
And consultants answers is - Yes. Sure we can.
The solution is easy on the outside, but sometimes to build it requires some about of work. The trickiest part is when we need to concatenate an information in the field from multiple fields like texts and picklist values. Salesforce itself is not a big fan of allowing us to use picklists in formula fields.
In a scenario below I have demonstrated how to combine Tasks Subject fields (Text) and Call Outcome (picklist) values into one field on a 'Log A Call' record 'Save'.
First thing, we need to create a new Text field in Salesforce that will be populated with Call Outcome picklist value so we can use this field further in a Process Builder to update Tasks Name.
1. Go to Setup --> Activities --> Activity Custom Fields
2. Click New button
3. Select Text option and click 'Next'
4. Name your field the same as your picklist + add "text" to make sure you can distinguish these fields later on
5. Next, go through the security steps and 'Save'
6. Now we can start with the messy part. Process Builder. In order to update Activity Name we need to use a Process Builder that will pull values from two fields and paste them into one.
7. To create this Process Builder please go to Setup --> Workflow & Approvals --> Process Builder
8. You will be taken to Process Builder building sweat. Press on 'New' in the right top corner.
9. Name your Process builder, provide Description and select The process starts when A record Changes option and click 'Save'.
10. The fun can start. Select an obbect you want this Name field update to happen.
11. After you select an object, we need to specify an action that triggers this Name field update. In our case it is every time Call Outcome picklist value is selected and Saved.
12. Next - what needs to happen? - We need to populate our Call Outcome TEXT field with the value from Call Outcome picklist.
13.Next we need to set the criteria before we perform field update/pre-population.
14. When records meet the criteria we can now update the field with a Name that equals the combination of two fields - Task Name & Call Outcome.
15. When all is set. Save your Process Builder and Activate it!